The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the VCU School of Dentistry and its residency program at the VCU Medical Center are well known and respected within the institution and among the oral and maxillofacial surgery community in this country and abroad.
As testimony to its contribution to the profession over the past 70 years, under the leadership of prominent members of the specialty, the department has provided education to thousands of dental students and has been an inspiration to many pursuing specialty training.
Training world-class clinicians
- Our residency program has trained more than 122 specialists in the field.
- Among the graduates of our program are six current or former oral and maxillofacial surgery department chairmen.
- Our program has trained two presidents of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, two presidents of Virginia Dental Association, one president of the American Dental Association, and many superb clinicians around the country and abroad.
- The graduates of this program are practicing oral and maxillofacial surgery in 47 states and in three foreign countries.
With this long and illustrious history, the department continues to chart an even brighter future by being committed to providing quality, state of the art patient care; innovative teaching; and a high caliber of scholarly contributions to the profession and the specialty.
To fulfill this mission, the following goals have been set:
- Attracting, supporting, and retaining outstanding, diverse, and dedicated faculty and staff
- Continuously assessing and redesigning the educational curricula and programs
- Raising the research and scholarly activity profile of the department
- Providing superior, compassionate, contemporary, and innovative patient care
The department also is committed to providing dedicated service to the school, the university, the community and the profession.